Investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. Not only is the Electrical Lineworker Program term shorter than even one semester at a standard 4-year college, but it is also a fraction of the cost. We understand the energy and resources that go into creating the career and life that you want and we are committed to assisting you along the way, and making the process more than worth your while.

Tuition and fees $18,750*

Why it's worth it:



Cohort Group: Oct 2004 – Sept 2018, of 11,053 students available for graduation, 9,779 graduated





Cohort Group:

Oct 2004 – Sept 2018

ELP Price Breakdown
Required Tuition & Fees
Application fee
Paid with application
Lab fee
Paid during enrollment process
Due 4 weeks prior to term start
Climbing & Hand Tools, NLC Safety Shirts $2,800.00


*California tuition will increase to $16,500 for terms starting on August 10, 2020 and later. California total tuition and fees (including lab and application fees) will increase to $17,450.

Class A CDL/Commercial Learner’s Permit 1
Due to differing state laws, CDL/CLP requirements vary by campus. See CDL/CLP section of this catalog for further information.
California (Commercial Learner’s Permit) $76.00
Florida (Commercial Learner’s Permit) $75.00
Idaho (Class A CDL w/ Air Brakes Endorsement) $268.002
Texas (Commercial Learner’s Permit) $325.00
optional courses – advanced training courses
Smart Grid & Electrical Devices Certification $1,895.00
NCCCO Crane Operator Certification $1,895.00
Class A CDL Testing Course – Idaho $1,200.00
Class A CDL Testing Course – Florida $1,675.00
optional courses – refresher course
Applied Mathematics $250.00
Campus-specific fees
Student Housing (price varies by state and housing type) Varies
Student Tuition Recovery Fund (STRF) fee (CA) $03

1DMV costs are estimated, and are subject to change without notice. Please confirm current pricing with the applicable state DMV.

2The $268.00 required associated cost is an estimate and is not paid to NLC. This cost includes the price of three written tests required by the DMV: general knowledge, combination vehicles and air brakes. The tests are a pre-requisite to secure a CLP w/ air brakes endorsement and cost $3.00 per test. After successfully passing all three tests, the DMV charges $29.00 to issue the CLP. Once the CLP is secured the DMV requires a two-week waiting period before the CDL skills test can be administered. After the mandatory waiting period, the student must find a third-party tester (fees vary by tester), but their fee cannot exceed $190.00. After the candidate successfully passes both the written and skills tests, the CDL can be issued for a fee of $40.00. Costs are estimated and are subject to change without notice. Visit // for current pricing.

3The STRF fee is not currently being charged because the California State STRF account has met the maximum amount allowed by state statute. This amount could be increased by the BPPE at any time. See California-Specific Policies in the back of this catalog for more information.

ways to help manage tuition costs

Understanding that finding funding can be somewhat challenging, Northwest Lineman College is continually researching options to assist students in investing in their education. Below are options that students have used with success. It is recommended to check this page on a regular basis, as updates will be made as other options become available.


Get help paying for your tuition and fees. There are several scholarships offered through the power industry and community support groups that ELP students are eligible for. The best way to locate these scholarships is through specific internet searches. Using key phrases such as “Power Industry Scholarships” will provide you with many resources. Another great source for scholarship and grant information would be your city, county, and state community foundations. Below you will find current scholarships available to ELP students and links to some community foundations as well. is a great tool to use to explore millions of scholarship opportunities. Click here to explore this great tool.



When it comes to higher education, there are traditionally two types of loans available: federal and non-federal (private) student loans. In an effort to keep tuition costs as affordable as possible, NLC does not participate, receive, or qualify for federal funding programs—meaning it does not accept any federal loans or student aid (FAFSA). However, private student loans are accepted, which a great number of NLC students have used to pay for their education.


Northwest Lineman College is happy to partner with Meritize Financial to offer student loans that are customized based on individual student performance. Students are able to finance the full cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room and board.)

More Info

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae offers comprehensive information and resources to assist students, parents and guidance professionals with financial assistance. Sallie Mae is well established and has worked with students who attend Northwest Lineman College. Many lenders have ceased to offer or make private loans for various reasons. However, you are free to do research with other private loan lenders. For more information on financial assistance through Sallie Mae, please click the NLC campus you wish to attend below:

Florida Idaho Texas California

Mountain america credit union (idaho only)

Mountain America Credit Union is a trusted lender who works directly with the Idaho NLC campus to offer our ID students private student loans. Minimum criteria for loan:

  • A Northwest Lineman Student applying for the Idaho NLC campus
  • A Student who resides in or works in and/or works for employers within Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Washington & New Mexico
More Info

Other private loans

Local banks and credit unions sometimes offer loans to those pursuing education, and can be a great resource. That said, it’s important to know the following when seeking untraditional private student loans:

  • NLC does not receive, participate, or qualify for Title IV Funding (anything requiring a FAFSA application—Pell Grant, Stafford Loan, etc). As such, NLC does not provide 1098-T tax forms. Pass this info on to your loan officer to help them find the best option for you.
  • Not all banks offer student loans, but don’t be discouraged—ask them to help you explore all options.
  • Private student loans are becoming more and more common, and most can be applied for online. An Internet search using keywords like “private student loans”, “non-federal student loans”, or “career training loans” may generate useful results.
Government Funding

GI Bill® (CA, ID, TX, FL)

NLC is grateful to our men and women in service, and we are proud to accept funding provided by the GI Bill program. If you have served in the armed forces, please contact your local Veterans Affairs (VA) office or visit for more information. We are currently limited to the GI Bill program, and are unable to accept funds from GoArmyEd’s Tuition Assistance (TA) program.

If you are using your GI Bill, you will need to provide the following documents, obtained through your VA representative:

  • DD214 Form
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Military Transcript
  • Postsecondary College Transcript (if you’ve attended college in the past)

The Electrical Lineworker Program has been approved for VA funding by the State Approving Agency where each campus is located: For information regarding this approval, please visit the following links

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program

VR&E services, offered by the VA, may help with job training, employment accommodations, résumé development, and job-seeking skills for qualifying vets

More Info

State Funding

Many students have been able to utilize grant funds through their local Department of Labor office to attend NLC for career training. When contacting your local office, inquire about the following programs:

Other Possible Funding Sources

Students or their families who may belong to a church or any other type of civic-minded organization, like Boys Scouts or 4H, please keep in mind you could qualify for scholarships with one or more of these types of organizations. Typically Rotary Clubs, Various Woman’s Organizations & American Legions or VFWs will also offer small scholarships that help lighten the financial load of funding education.

Tax Information

Northwest Lineman College (NLC) is a private, for-profit higher learning institution. NLC is a nationally accredited institution, however, in an effort to keep tuition costs as affordable as possible, we have made the decision not to participate in Title IV funding. Because we don’t participate in Title IV funding we are not required to issue 1098-T forms.

We ask that any tax questions be addressed with your own tax professional as we are unable to give tax advice.

The EIN# for NLC (Grid Training Corp.) is 82-0468903. Our corporate office is located at:

Northwest Lineman College
7600 South Meridian Road
Meridian, ID 83642

A copy of your statement showing all fees and payments was included in your graduation packet. If you no longer have this, you may request an emailed statement by emailing [email protected]. This email should contain your full name, campus attended, month & year of graduation, and last four digits of your SSN. For confidentiality purposes, this email must come directly from the graduate. Please note, it may take up to 7 business days from the date of this request to receive your emailed statement.

Request More Information

Call now to talk to an Admissions Consultant - 888-LINEWORK

Or fill out the form below and we’ll contact you.

If you meet these qualifications, you are welcome to submit an application.

  • Be 18 years of age at the start date of the term you select;
  • Have a high school diploma or GED;
  • Possess a valid driver’s license (that does not expire prior to term start);
  • Be eligible to obtain a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL);
  • Be physically and mentally fit to participate (official Medical Release form provided during enrollment process);
  • Provide proof of medical insurance coverage for the duration of the program;
  • Not have a felony conviction on your record;
  • Weigh no more than 270 pounds (ELP and TLP only, due to weight restrictions of fall protection equipment).